WHAT IS SANCA ?
The South African National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (SANCA) is a non-governmental organisation whose major objectives are the prevention and treatment of Alcohol and Drug Dependence. The first of these objectives is mainly achieved through the provision of treatment services for chemically dependent people and their families.
(chemical dependence is an umbrella term used to describe both alcoholism and drug dependence)
Established in 1956, SANCA came into existence in response to a need expressed by communities for assistance to deal with alcohol and other drug problems in their midst.
To be the most effective organisation in the field of prevention and treatment of chemical dependence in South Africa.
A non profit organisation striving to address alcohol and other drug problems in South Africa through the provision of specialised accessible prevention and treatment services, thereby enhancing the quality of life and restoring the self respect and dignity of persons affected by alcohol and other drugs.
THE MAIN GOALS OF SANCA:
- To heighten public awareness on alcoholism, alcohol, other drugs, and related problems;
- To enlighten the public and private sector regarding prevention, treatment and research;
- To prevent and reduce chemical substance dependence and related problems amongst all communities, especially concentrating on high risk groups such as children, women and disadvantaged communities;
- To provide treatment for alcohol and other drug dependents and their families;
- To advocate the restriction of availability of, and reduction in the demand for alcohol and potentially harmful other drugs thereby lowering levels of alcohol and drug related problems;
- To offer specialised training and education programmes and resources relating to prevention and treatment of substance abuse;
- To undertake and encourage research in the field of alcohol and other drugs:
- To mobilize and utilize community resources in the development of community services to address substance abuse and related problems;
- To make available specialised and appropriate knowledge and resources hereby empowering communities in their effort to address their own needs.
SANCA has as its overall mission to address alcoholism and drug dependence through the provision of specialised, accessible and affordable developmental, prevention and treatment services to all the people of South Africa, thereby enhancing the quality of life and restoring the self-respect and dignity of persons affected by alcoholism and drug dependence.
STRUCTURE OF THE SANCA ORGANISATION:
SANCA is a national umbrella organisation consisting of 38 Alcohol and Drug Help Centres, providing over 76 service points \ satellite offices in all the nine provinces of South Africa. Each Alcohol and Drug Help Centre functions independently, but is affiliated to SANCA.
FUNCTIONS OF SANCA NATIONALLY:
SANCA through its local, provincial and national structures, is committed to achieving its aims and objectives through the fulfillment of the following functions:
- DEVELOPMENT SERVICES;
- PREVENTION SERVICES;
- TREATMENT SERVICES;
- RESEARCH SERVICES;
- LIAISON SERVICES;
- MARKETING SERVICES;
- FINANCIAL SERVICES.
MRS. SHAMIM GARDA
SANCA NATIONAL EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
P. O. BOX 663
SANCA Information & Resource Centre (SIRC)
Is a specialised addiction research and reference resource facility which serves the SANCA Alcohol & Drug Centres, Associated Members, members of SANCA and the public
Information is covered by four main resource areas, namely: Books, Journals, Printed Material and videos
It offers comprehensive research facilities both from the electronic and printed medias
Anyone may make use of SIRC services
Please contact SIRC for any information & research related queries
Back to Counselling Page
Back to top of Page